BOURNEMOUTH 0 BORO 0: A drab draw dents Cherries play-off hopes

By -

CHAMPIONSHIP 15.03.2014 | ATT: 9710 | REF: F GRAHAM






No goals, no glory as the sun shone but the game failed to sparkle and bring home a fourth win on the trot for AFC Bournemouth

After getting five goals in the last home it would seem that the mighty Cherries quota for this game had already been used up. Boro came for a draw and duly got what they wanted. It’s hard to think of too many highlights in the first half, but we will do our best. The Cherries started with Coulibaly in for Fraser. A surprise move for us as Fraser has been excellent of late, perhaps Eddie thought the wee man needed a rest.

The sun was proving to be more of a distraction than the game itself. There was no fast start from either side, it would seem that the Boro boys were a little confused by the bright ball of yellow in the sky while the Bournemouth players thought that the summer holidays had come early. Chances were few and the play lethargic. Neither side created any real openings and we were waiting for the game to burst into life.

It would seem that the Cherries midweek excursion to the northern delights of Blackburn had taken its toll, but thankfully the referee made an effort to inject some life into the game with some piss poor decisions. Ritchie and the Boro No 7, Leadbitter, had a coming together followed by a few cheeky digs, but as Ritchie ran away Leadbitter aimed a kick at Ritchie and took out his legs. I do believe that is a foul and with the ball nowhere to be seen surely a red card offence. We were more surprised to see the yellow come out.

If that wasn’t enough to whet the appetite he decided to disallow the only ‘goal’ of the game. The keeper made a mess of picking up the ball and Grabban took advantage and put the ball into the net from a tight angle. Apparently, Grabban had fouled the keeper, so no goal. The well-known phrase with reference to the referee was brought out reminding him exactly what I thought. Remember he takes a lot of notice of the crowd.

It was such a nice day we decided to spend half-time sat in the sun watching the ‘entertainment’. Can’t remember the blokes name, but well done in the crossbar challenge, we will never see the likes of that again. Well not at least until we at TFTSE Towers manage to get on the pitch of course 🙂

Were the second 45 going to be better than the first 45? Thankfully, they were, but not to any great degree. Middlesboro were still happy with a point and they were still determined to get it. Bournemouth stepped up a gear in the second half and looked like the only team who wanted to win. There was plenty more attacking play, but again there was little cutting edge in the final third. Grabban was willing, but just wasn’t able to find the killer touch. The best chance of the half came from the unlikely source of Simon Francis. He produced a 25-yard thunderbolt that produced an equally good save.

The Boro keeper was on hand again to spoil the Cherries afternoon as Surman curled a ball towards the top corner. When the keeper was beaten the post came to the rescue as Ritchie curled in a cross to nearly get the elusive breakthrough.

After the game Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka said, “At least we have a point. Bournemouth had more chances and played very well, so we have to be pleased. I would have like us to have rewarded the fans who travelled 300 miles to watch us with some goals.” What about us fans who travelled the six miles to the ground, we would have liked to see some goals as well, especially some AFC Bournemouth ones.

Tales From The South End

An Unofficial AFC Bournemouth website with news, video archive, match reports, form guide, football league news, fixtures and results, blog and Cherries shrine

Leave a Reply