By -


  • Football League One
  • 17 November 2012
  • Att: 6118
  • Ref: Rushton

53 LEWIS GRABBAN | Bournemouth 1-0
Harry Arter picked up the ball midway in the visitors half drove forward and shot from 25 yards with Grabban nipping in to divert into the net.


LEWIS GRABBAN | Bournemouth 2-0
A through ball from Arter was picked up by an Oldham defender who gave the ball straight to Francis. He put in a low cross for Grabban whose subtle shot diverted the ball past the keeper


LEWIS GRABBAN | Bournemouth 3-0
Arter picked up the ball just inside the box and was clattered to the ground for a penalty. Arter stepped up to take the penalty that was well-saved by the Oldham keeper, but Grabban was on hand to put in the rebound


CHARLIE DANIELS | Bournemouth 4-0
A free-kick from the right by Francis headed towards the far side of the box as Charlie Daniels came steaming in to plant a thunderous header in the back of the net.

MATT SMITH | Oldham 4-1
Poor defensive work from the Cherries defence saw a cross to the back post that was nodded on into the top corner


“I thought Lewis Grabban took his goals really well. I thought the second goal especially was a great finish” EDDIE HOWE – The returning Cherries boss










Who played a shocker? Who played a blinder? Make a contribution to our match reports
If you would like to write a report, article, feature, list or anything let us know and get your picture up in lights. Well, on Tales From The South End.



We turned up and the ground and thought what’s going on here. With six wins out of seven, a few extras decided to make the trip to see if Eddie Howe could make it 7 out of 8, which the Cherries duly did. However, the irregulars must have wondered why they bothered turning up in the first half. It was cold, the game was distinctly uninteresting, so much so I actually found myself nodding off. Keeping me awake was a Dave Merrington soundalike, who was sat behind me, and chose to give a running commentary throughout the first half. Problem was he obviously didn’t come very often, as he was struggling to read the players names on the back of their shirts. Thankfully, he decided to move further back for the second half.

“The ball went straight to Francis who put a low cross straight back into the box. Once again Grabban was too quick and a clever”

The second 45 minutes was a totally different affair. This is what the fans had come to see, and were treated to a display of attacking football that warmed the heart, hands and feet. The team finally decided to show what they were made of. It took the Cherries less than 10 minutes to finally breach the Oldham defence. And, as Arter surged forward, took a shot from distance, I finally started to get excited and Grabban diverting the ball into the back of the net finally woke me up. The Oldham defence protested in vain for offside, but the fact was, Grabban was just too quick for the flat-footed Oldham defence.

I had only just sat down and got comfortable, had a big lad sat next to me, when Arter was back in the action. His incisive through ball was picked out by the Oldham defence who once again were the architects of their own downfall. The ball went straight to Francis who put a low cross straight back into the box. Once again Grabban was too quick and clever.
The home side were surging forward at will and surely it was only a matter of time before the third goal came. Arter was upended in the box and ran to grab the ball and told Grabban, he was taking the kick. After a half-hearted protest from Grabban, Arter managed to get his penalty saved and diverted into the path of Grabban who completed his hat-trick.
Were Oldham to stage a great comeback? No, and in the 81st minute, a storming run from about 50 yards out by Daniels wasn’t picked out by anyone but Francis. The ball landed perfectly on the head of Daniels who stuck it straight into the top of the net.
A clean sheet? The man next to me decided to make a comment on four goals and a clean sheet being a great result as the Cherries defence went to sleep and in went the consolation for Oldham.
Who cares, another win, another three points and one small step towards the promised land



POW!! A great win today! Lovely hatrick for Lewis Grabbon, 3rd curtesy of an @HarryArter2 assist! #afcb
Grabban has certainly silenced his critics for a while and repaid the faith shown in him by management. So pleased for him 🙂 #afcb
Looking forward to MOTD and the FLS which is so much better when #afcb win and score lots!!!
Thought the @afcbournemouth lads were magnificent 2nd half 2day. Played with #Tempo #Desire #Heart & #WillToWin Great qualities 2 have #afcb
The boys are on flames #afcb
Referee was shocking, so fussy and inconsistent. Barnard again did nothing for me. #afcb
Big Willo and @neilperrettecho raving about the new #afcb pies today. JW said best he’s ever tasted. I had sausage roll which was lovely.



Too much pasta
Alarm Clocks. I’ve decided that’s what AFCB needs. That’s my only explanation for another game that starts with such a poor first half performance. Clearly they haven’t woken up yet – either that or Supa has been talking the team through his week’s dinners and they’ve gotten so hungry they’ve overdone the pre-match pasta.
From back to front we were sluggish to the ball and the passing was woeful. I agree, it looks fantastic when you can back-heel a nutmeg’d pass to your team-mate – but as we’re not winning just pass the blo**dy thing to the guy standing right beside you !!
Saying that, Oldham were poor, but industrious. They closed down well and put our midfield under a lot of pressure. Even their “rotund” number 7 seemed more up for it than us. It made me wish that maybe we had found out about Hollands’ move because we sorely needed someone to mix it up and get the ball.
Way too many times when the ball went free, it fell to them, giving them a platform to move forward. Maybe it was because their appalling, luminous Blackpool-esque kit that kept grabbing my attention for it seemed difficult to believe they weren’t the home side. That was made clear though when Arter picked up his obligatory yellow and seemed unable to stop himself questioning the ref – this “growing up” still has a way to go.
Saying that, despite Oldham’s possession, the chances fell to Bournemouth and James was untroubled. Arter, Pugh and Barnard all had speculative shots either blocked or just wide.
Second half starts and it’s clear that the team have finally had time for their Ready-Brek (other breakfast cereals are available)
From nowhere, Grabban had found an extra yard of pace and was tearing down both flanks. This seemed to inspire the rest of the team and the tempo was greatly improved.
On 52 minutes, Arter, full of confidence having been given more time on the ball since the break, ran through the midfield. He set himself up and lashed a shot. The linesman on the far side started to duck but he needn’t have bothered – the jet propelled Grabban stole in through the middle and deflected it in.
The kinder amongst us pondered whether it was in fact a cunning pass – I’m not sure there’s that much cunning in the world.
Two minutes later the lead was doubled. Barnard and Francis (out for 2-3 weeks???) combined well and as the cross came in low, Grabban cut in front of his marker and skilfully slotted it into the far left corner.
Now I’ve not been a Grabban fan – asking once whether we’d bought him as a striker or whether he’d come as a free gift with another purchase, but today you could actually see what everyone else has been seeing in training. Speed, workrate, technique and running off the ball – bravo!!!
From then it was one way traffic, with Oldham being restricted to a free kick shot from the centre circle that had team-mates holding their heads in despair
Grabban then had 2 shots in quick succession, searching for that elusive 3rd but both were sadly wide. Then, when Arter was fouled in the box, surely it was his time.
“Give it to Grabban” came the chants from the crowd as he and Arter played rock, paper, scissors for the kick and Arter won. If we ARE giving Arter the benefit of the doubt on the first maybe we should also do so for this as he right-footed penalty was saved to the keeper’s left, with Grabban on hand to bag the ball in. Another assist? Oh come on people – it IS nearly Christmas.
With 10 minutes to go a Mcquoid run was brought abruptly to an end allowing Pugh to step up to take the free kick from the right.
When he crossed and the ball sailed over all those waiting in the middle, we all wondered whether Pugh had lead lined his boots as all too often his crosses had been over-hit – but how wrong we were to doubt him.
In came Daniels charging in from the left, totally unmarked, to thunder an unstoppable header into the roof of the net – 4-0
Oldham did have some late pressure, winning headers from set pieces and it was another won header, this time from a cross, that gave Oldham some consolation – A good header that James could not get near – a fly in the ointment of an otherwise very professional second half.
Summary – We simply can’t keep starting this slowly. Other, better sides will be out of sight before we know where we are. We need steel in the middle from the first minute, not the 46th. That said, the second half was sublime with threats coming from both the left and the right. Other teams will now recognise our attacking options and will no doubt be ordering a bigger bus to park in front of goal. We just need to ensure players and crowd remain patient

STAR PLAYER: LEWIS GRABBAN – who else could it be ?
Tales From The South End

An Unofficial AFC Bournemouth website with news, video archive, match reports, form guide, football league news, fixtures and results, blog and Cherries shrine

Leave a Reply