- CALLUM WILSON: Will he finish as AFC Bournemouth’s top scorer in the league?
- NEW SEASON: Only 5 days to go for Cherries kick-off
- SUNDERLAND v AFC BOURNEMOUTH: They’ve got Jermaine Defoe he hasn’t scored in 9 in a row
- AFC BOURNEMOUTH: Debts, injury crisis and transfer embargo
- FAC 2012/13: The Cherries path to a third round replay
Its hard to believe such a ridiculous headline but it is true. No word of a lie has passed our lips
Back in 2009, as most of you will know, AFC Bournemouth were looking to get out of League Two after managing to stay in the Football League the previous season.
No Premiership pretentions around then it was all about getting back to where we ‘belonged’ League One. It was Tuesday 10th March 2009. The Cherries were away to Exeter and flying high in the league. Viciferous away support saw the Cherries win 3-1 with goals from Danny Hollands and Brett Pitman, and it was Pitmans’ first strike of the evening that grabbed national attention. After picking up the ball in his own half he ran almost the entire length of the pitch beating about six Exeter players before slotting home.
His superb solo effort saw him make Sky Sports Goal of the Week alongside some very illustrious footballing heroes, including Lionel Messi, Steven Gerrard and Cristiano Ronaldo. Who would win? The public voted and Brett Pitman blew away the competition gaining 53% of the vote with Steven Gerrard coming a distance second with 21%. Lionel Messi only managed a mere 5%.
So, it’s official, Brett Pitman was better than Messi, Ronaldo and Gerrard, at least for one day. Well done Chicken.
WATCH BRETT PITMAN DESTROY EXETER